Sunday, May 01, 2005

It's been a quiet week here in Lake...

Sometime's you don't realize how much noise there is in your life or how many varieties it comes in until its gone.

Last week I fasted for 2 days. Let go of food and speaking for those 48 hours. I drank juices, teas and water. Each beverage became distinct in flavor, density, texture, aroma. I didn't miss cooking or washing dishes. I realize now how much of food's appeal is the sensory stimuli, and that often I'll eat from that place rather than from the awareness of what my stomach is feeling.

Not talking came with a sense of relief! I didn't listen to music or watch tv. (The latter of which I do little of anyways.) Sensory focuses became simultaneously local and broader. Less incoming/outgoing data allowed more awareness of what goes on inside myself, what distracts or attracts my attention. The only sounds were the birds, spring peepers, the wind in the pines or the ocean waves, and occasional traffic. Returning from my beach walk, a stop at the mini-mart was jarring - human voices, television, radio. I grabbed my NYTs, smiled my thanks to the clerk and rushed back to the silence of my cottage. Ahhh, relief. I didn't leave for 36 hours. Ahhhh, luxury.

Lack brought abundance. Quiet shepharded communication within. This is a keeper. Maybe next I'll forgo text and computer. That will be more of a challenge than giving up food and speaking!

1 Comments:

Blogger Jud Lohmeyer said...

Enjoyed your site. Miss the lovely textures of back east and the ecclectic mix of people. Jud

8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home